Do I need to file the FBAR?

Expatfile tax questions illustration
Expatfile tax questions illustration

All US citizens (and greencard holders) need to file a FinCen Form 114 (aka FBAR) if they a own or hold a foreign financial account, or accounts, that have at least $10,000 in total at any time during the year. Foreign financial accounts can include:

  • Foreign bank accounts (both checking and savings)
  • Bank accounts held with a foreign branch of a US bank
  • Overseas mutual funds and pension funds
  • Stocks and securities held in a financial account at a foreign financial institution
  • Foreign issued life insurance or annuity contracts with cash value.
E-file your expat taxes in as quick as 10 minutes!
Get started