This privacy statement (“Statement”) provides information on the processing of personal data by Expatfile.tax LLC, hereinafter individually and collectively referred to as: “Expatfile”. Expatfile provides tax filing software for U.S. expats (“Service”). The contact details of Expatfile are the following:
1201 Orange Street Suite 600
One Commerce Center
Wilmington, Delaware 19801
This Statement applies to all personal data processed by Expatfile and/or on behalf of Expatfile concerning all its data subjects (including (potential, current and former) employees, contractors, (prospective) customers and (other) business partners), with which a natural person may be identified or become identifiable (“Personal Data”). The natural persons involved are hereinafter collectively referred to as data subjects (“Data Subjects”).
This Statement sets out the elements necessary for Expatfile’s compliance with applicable privacy legislation, principles and practice, including but not limited to the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) (“Applicable Laws”). Expatfile reserves the right to review and/or alter the Statement periodically, in order to comply with (local and/or European) legislation, and for any other purpose deemed reasonably necessary by Expatfile.
For queries and inquiries about this Statement, please contact Expatfile at e-mail address: [email protected]
Please find below an overview of the subjects which will be discussed in this Statement.
- Categories of Personal Data
- Purpose, legal ground and retention period of data processing
- Security of Personal Data
- Transfer of Personal Data
- Rights in relation to Personal Data
- Questions and inquiries
Categories of Personal Data
Expatfile processes the following categories of Personal Data, with respect to the following categories of Data Subjects:
- Email address;
- First name and last name;
- Social Security Number;
- Street address;
- Zip code;
- Phone number;
- Personal income information in order to provide our tax filing service for U.S. expats;
- IP address.
These Personal Data are collected via https://expatfile.tax and https://app.expatfile.tax.
Purpose, legal ground and retention period of data processing
Based on the following legal grounds, Expatfile is processing Personal Data for the following purposes.
In order to fulfil our contractual obligation, we process your Personal Data:
- To provide and maintain our Service;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Services when you choose to do so;
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues;
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and event which Expatfile offer that are similar to those that you already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information.
Expatfile will retain these Personal Data for no more than 3 years.
For our legitimate interests, we may process your Personal Data in order to:
- Notify you about changes to our Services;
- Provide customer support;
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that Expatfile can improve the Services;
- To monitor the usage of the Services;
Expatfile will retain these Personal Data for no more than 3 years.
Expatfile will only process Personal Data to the extent necessary for the described purposes. Personal Data may in principle not be processed for other purposes other than that for which the Personal Data were collected. If there is a necessity or need to process Personal Data for other purposes, it shall be investigated by Expatfile whether the purposes of the intended data processing is compatible with the original purposes. Expatfile shall provide the Data Subject prior to that further processing with information on that other purpose.
Security of Personal Data
Expatfile handles Personal Data carefully and confidentially, and uses appropriate technical and organizational measures to preserve the integrity and security of your Personal Data.
Transfer of Personal Data
Expatfile transfers (only relevant portions of) Personal Data to the following recipients:
- Google Analytics;
- Microsoft Clarity;
- The Internal Revenue Service (the “IRS”).
Expatfile does transfer Personal Data to a third country or international organizations outside of the European union/European Economic Area (“EU/EEA”), including the United States of America. These transfers only take place in compliance with the Applicable Laws and where appropriate safeguards are in place that ensure the level of protection of Data Subjects as required by these Applicable Laws (e.g. transfers on the basis of an adequacy decision or standard EU Model clauses). Expatfile uses Standard Contractual Clauses for safeguarding this transfer.
Rights in relation to Personal Data
Data Subjects have the right of information, access, rectification, addition and erasure of Personal Data, and the right to object against or restrict the processing of Personal Data (or withdraw an earlier given consent), as well as the right to data portability. The procedure of Expatfile that enables Data Subjects to exercise these rights, is described below.
Data Subjects may file a request for access with Expatfile, and Expatfile shall respond as soon as possible, and in any event within one (1) month, about:
- Whether Expatfile holds any Personal Data relating to the respective Data Subject; and
- If so, information is provided on the purposes of the processing, the categories, the recipients (if applicable) the envisaged period for which the Personal Data will be stored, or the criteria used, the existence of the right to request rectification, erasure, restriction or to object to such processing, the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, the existence of automated decision-making, where the data is transferred to a third country, the appropriate safeguards and the source(s) of the Personal Data.
Expatfile informs the Data Subject within one (1) month after receiving the request whether the request shall be complied with (in time), and if not, accompanied with the reasons for the delay or rejection. Information provided shall be free of charge. Data Subjects can exercise these rights at reasonable intervals. Data Subjects can exercise their rights by contacting us in writing or per e-mail (see address above).
Expatfile will comply with a legitimate request of a Data Subject for rectification, addition and erasure, if the Personal Data are factually incorrect, incomplete, or irrelevant for the purpose(s) of the data processing, or otherwise processed in violation with the Applicable Laws.
With regard to a request to erase Personal Data, it should be taken into account that Expatfile shall not comply with such request, if it is incompatible with any legal obligations of Expatfile.
In the event of concerns about the handling of Personal Data, Data Subjects also have the right to lodge a complaint with a local supervisory authority.
Questions and inquiries
For queries and inquiries about this Statement, please contact us at e-mail: [email protected]